Salish Kootenai College’s student governance entity (commonly Student Senate) must officially recognize all student organizations (Clubs) on an annual basis. All recognized student organizations will promote educational, social, and recreational activities that contribute to student growth and community development.
A. Upon being officially recognized by the College, the club or organization will be asked to adhere to the following:
- Official recognition requires submission of all pertinent information to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs and the Student Senate. New clubs making application will be notified of their status as soon as possible.
- The organization/club will, at all times, have an advisor that is a full time employee of the College. The advisor will be aware of all of the organization activities, be present at official meetings, and approve all expenditures. All official voting must be witnessed by the advisor.
- The organization/club will have by-laws. A current copy of the by-laws should state the purpose of the organization, membership requirements, quorum requirements, and procedures election of officers and amendment of club documents.
- Minutes will be kept of all meetings and be on file for review by the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs and submitted annually with the application for club renewal.
- All receipt or expenditure of funds will follow approved college business office procedures. All funds requested will require one officer signature, the advisor’s signatures, and approved minutes related to the expenditure. Additional documents may be required depending on the type of expenditure, as indicated by college business office procedures.
- Recognition as a student organization (Club) must be renewed annually through the approved procedures. This includes a list of current officers, a current copy of the signed By-Laws, and the name of the current advisor. Clubs must be renewed each fall quarter or within one month of new or reinstated club activities.
- Additional guidance is available through the current Student Club Packet, provided in the club renewal process or requested from Student Senate.
B. Club Advisor Responsibilities
- The student organization’s advisor is responsible for ensuring that club activities follow student policies and procedures as well as college policies.
- In the event that a student organization advisor is unable to attend an official club meeting, another SKC employee may be delegated to attend the meeting. The Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Services shall be notified of the change.
Adopted: Policy has been in place prior to Sept. 2003
Revised: 8/21/13; 12/18/2020