This policy provides guidance concerning the appropriate operation of, and uses for, Drones by: Salish Kootenai College (“College”) employees, students and volunteers (“College Users”); and the College’s commercial and non-commercial visitors (“Visitors”) including third-parties contracted by the College for drone work. Visitors also include individuals from outside agencies performing demonstration flights, training and other Drone operations.
The College supports the use of Drones to enhance the administrative, research, instructional and service functions of the institution. The College must take into consideration privacy, security and safety issues when providing direction for the use of Drones.
- Drone regulation is emerging and multi-faceted. Drone operational safety is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA”) and is expected to evolve. Therefore, this policy will continue to be updated as appropriate.
- When operating a Drone on-campus, all College Users and Visitors must comply with the Part 107 Rule and all other applicable foreign (when outside of the United States), College, tribal, federal, state and local statutes, regulations, rules, ordinances and policies (all, collectively, the “Applicable Rules”).
- College Users operating drones on or off campus and Visitors operating drones on-campus are also required to obtain approval from UAS Risk Management Team (URMT) prior to operating a Drone.
- All Drones owned by SKC must be registered prior to operation and must be covered by the College’s Liability Insurance prior to operations.
- All purchases of Drone must be approved by the URMT prior to purchase order being approved.
- College Users and Visitors must comply with On-Campus Rules.
- College Users must comply with Off-Campus Rules.
- If the desired Drone usage involves research (whether funded or unfunded), College Users and Visitors must also receive an approval from SKC’s Institutional Review Board.
- The College Users and Visitors are encouraged to review the FAA’s Frequently Asked Questions for more information about federal requirements related to Drone operations.
Procedure 725.00, Operation of Unmanned Aerial Systems, provides additional guidance.